Friday, October 21, 2005

Happy happy day!

So why is today a happy, happy day, you ask? Well, let me tell you.

It started off fairly rocky, I have to admit. I had to get up at 8 in the morning which for me, Miss College Student who never has to get up before 9:30- was ridiculously early, especially as I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in the past couple days. I did manage to get back to sleep and not wake up until 12 in the afternoon, however, which is where the story gets good.

After an hour's worth of knitting, I finally finished my second sock of my first ever pair. Here they are in action, or at least being worn:





And here they are pretending to be innocent and ignorant. As if socks could ever be innocent and ignorant, hah!




While I'm immensely proud that I finally have something to show on my blog and FINALLY finished (at least the knitting portion, it's quite obvious the ends still need to be woven in) a non-scarf garment, I have several issues with the finished object. For one thing, there are holes where I picked up the stitches. Luckily, you can't see them in the picture (as if I would ever let the public see that, heh!). For another, the cuff is uneven where I joined in the round. I'm not sure whether these issues are worth frogging both socks at a later date and reknitting them, but we shall see.

What cancelled out my disappointment with the socks entirely, however, was the arrival of this in the mail:





What 'this' is, namely, is hand-dyed Ravenclaw-themed yarn from Sunshine Yarns, along with a pair of handmade stitch markers, for free! Well, the stitch markers were free, anyway. A few weeks ago, I saw Gryffindor-themed sock yarn on The Blue Blog, and emailed Dani, the owner of Sunshine Yarns, asking if she'd be able to make any Ravenclaw yarn. Thus the birth of my yarn! Not only that, the blue wasn't exactly the same as in the picture I showed her to describe Ravenclaw colors, so she let me have the skein for $15 instead of $23. Nice, huh?

And now, after about half an hour, the hank of yarn looks like this:



And I'm ready to swatch! Hurrah! (The yellow and black thing you see in the background is my Hufflepuff WIP. I'm so ashamed of it I won't even show you a full picture. Lemme tell you, that thing is HIDEOUS).

4 Comments:

Blogger alison said...

The yarn looks awesome! Can't wait to see how it knits up. Dani does such a great job, you're going to love those socks! :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Oh and congrats on your first socks! They look great.

5:24 PM  
Blogger trek said...

The socks are just fine! Don't frog 'em. The unevenness in joining in the round can be combatted with several techniques. One is to cast on an extra stitch and use it to k2tog with the first stitch cast on. Check some of the instruction sites.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

That sock yarn looks yummy! Looking forward to seeing the finished socks.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home